On 4th October Google unveiled Google Pixel and Google Pixel XL smartphones in an event in San Francisco and has considered India also as one of the launch markets for the phone from a report in August. The launch event was sort of an open secret with specification and feature leak well in advance. The two smartphones are first to be integrated with Google Assistant built-in. The appearance and outlook of both the phones are similar and the difference lies only in screen size and battery.
• The phones are powered with two cores at 1.6GHz and two cores at 2.15GHz and run on Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 processor.
• The phones sport a rear camera of 12.3-megapixel with Sony IMX378 sensor, PDAF, 1.55 micron pixels etc and also sport a front camera of 8-megapixel .
• Google Pixel flashes a full HD 5-inch display screen and Google Pixel XL sports a Quad HD 5.5 inch display screen. Both of them have Amoled display for better clarity. The phone are also protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 4 protection.
• The Google phones have an inbuilt memory of 4GB RAM and have either 32GB or 128GB ROM variants.
• Google Pixel is backed by a battery support of 2770mAh and Google Pixel XL is supported by 3450mAh battery.
• Both the phones are powered by the latest Android 7.1 Nougat OS for high end performance and speed of operation.
Other highlights of the launch:
The exclusive part is both the phones will have access to unlimited storage for full resolution photos and videos using Google photos. The phones come with USB Type C port support along with 3.5 mm and alone in India is expected to have service centres in 30 cities. On the launch CEO of Google, Sundar Pichai said the phones are launched and made in an attempt to promote artificial intelligence and bring forward Google Assistant. Rick Osterloh, Head of hardware division, Google said the assistant is present in Pixel phone and Google Home speaker.
The phone will be available via Verizon and Google store (unlocked version) and the pre-orders starts from 4th October in Canada, Australia, UK, US and Germany. The variants available will be Quiet Black, Very silver and Really blue. Google Pixel is to cost $649(approx Rs 43,000) for 32GB and $749(Rs 50,000) for 128GB. Google Pixel XL is to cost $769(approx Rs 51,000) for 32GB and $869(Rs 58,000) for 128GB. In India Google Pixel is to priced starting at Rs 57,000 and Google Pixel XL at Rs 67,000 with pre-orders starting from October 13th. It will be available in Flipkart, Croma and Reliance Digital along with other smaller retailers.